Sunday, December 9, 2012

How things change

It's amazing how things change.  Over the past six months I left my home in Louisiana for beautiful Austin, Texas.  A new job I tried as an experiment didn't work out, which doesn't surprise me.  Also, the geek world has changed as well.

Well, sales definitely isn't for me.  I'm currently looking for another writing gig at a newspaper.  If that doesn't happen, there's something out there.

Thankfully I'm in the great city of Austin, where there are actual jobs.  That's a far cry from Louisiana which is sorely lacking in that department.

That isn't all that has changed.  The world of geekdom has forever been changed by the purchase of the Star Wars properties by Disney.  Like anything related to the franchise, there are those in support and those opposed.  As shouldn't need to be stated here, I gave up on Star Wars many years ago due to the prequels.

This may be a good thing, as we are all aware Lucas had no idea what to do with the franchise.  Sure, they had the cartoon series (which I've never watched), but his idea of making Star Wars better was to simply tweak/rape the films most of us have loved since childhood.  With Disney, at least we will get something new, and hopefully see the universe expanded upon in a positive way.

By positive, I mean not insulting the intelligence of adults while maintaining interest for the little ones.  To save the franchise (for me, at least) this has to happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment