Friday, January 18, 2013

DC's "New 52" freshens up the comics industry


Once upon a time, back in the 1990s, comic books played a large part in my life.  It actually began in 1988, when Tim Burton's Batman hit the screen.  Being eight or nine years old and living in a small Louisiana town, one didn't have access to a newsstand or comic book store.

A few years later was when the world of comics opened up.  Although none were local, there were several options for intermittent comics in the surrounding areas that my mom frequented due to visiting family, doctor's appointments, or shopping.  Other opportunities were presented in the form of my mother and father's love of flea markets.

Within months, the names Jim Lee and Todd McFarlane became just as important in my life as George Lucas and Stephen King.  The stories of Bruce Wayne and Peter Parker became my new Indiana Jones and Luke Skywalker.



The trend continued for several more years.  Image Comics began after seemingly everyone's favorite artists wanted more control over their work.  The addiction grew.

Eventually, my interest wavered.  Going out with friends became the norm, and of course Magic: The Gathering received some interest.

Sure, I'd  read a few comics in the meantime.  The magic was just gone...until recently.

I happened upon some random article on Reddit regarding 52 new titles for DC Comics.  It was a move in the right direction.



My readings began with "Night of the Owls" in Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's new Batman series.  The art and story were both fantastic.  Francis Manapul's work on The Flash is truly captivating.    There's still a long way to go, and a lot of titles I want to try out, but I'm looking forward to it for the first time in a good long while.  I'll keep everyone updated on what I'm reading, especially since I'm looking forward to Batman's "Death of the Family."



Strangely enough, despite my early love of Marvel Comics, I have no interest in the books they're putting out.  Everybody says to try out DeadPool, but I'm just not sure.  I already have plenty to read.


No comments:

Post a Comment